Requirements for foreigners who are married to Japanese people to apply for Naturalization

When a foreigner applies for aturalization in Japan, it is necessary to continue living in Japan for more than 5 years as an address requirement.
Also, during the period of stay in Japan, it is necessary to stay in Japan with a work visa for at least 3 years.
However, if a foreigner who is married to a Japanese national (Japanese spouse) is naturalized, the requirements are relaxed as follows.

  1. If 3 years or more have passed since the date of marriage to a Japanese national: 1 year
  2. Less than 3 years from the date of marriage to Japanese: 3 years

If you are thinking of applying for naturalization, please contact our office.