We sometimes receive requests from foreigners living in Japan, such as, "I would like to invite a child of my relative who lives abroad to Japan to attend elementary or junior high school in Japan."
In this case, the status of residence will be "Student", but the requirements for this status of residence to be recognized are as follows.
- If the child is to be sent to junior high school, the child must be 17 years of age or younger.
- If the child is to be sent to elementary school, the child must be 14 years of age or younger.
- There is a person who takes care of the child in Japan.
- The school that the child attends must have a full-time staff in charge of daily life guidance for foreign students.
- A dormitory with full-time staff or other accommodation facilities where the applicant can carry out his or her daily life without hindrance must be secured.
Of these, age requirements 1 and 2 are not controversial, so the point is whether or not requirements 3 to 5 can be met.
As for requirement 3, the person who accepts the child of a relative should normally take custody of the child, so it is considered that the requirement is satisfied.
As for the requirement of 5, if you can live in the host's house and commute from there, you will meet the requirement. However, if it is difficult to commute from home, it is necessary to choose a school that has a dormitory.
As for requirement 4, if the school that the child attends does not have a full-time staff member in charge of daily life guidance for foreign students for reasons such as already accepting foreigners, it will not be accepted.
- Technical Intern Training12/04/2023Technical Intern Training Program will be reviewed
- Visa11/20/2023Things companies should be careful about when hiring foreigners
- Others11/06/2023To everyone who will take the Certified Administrative Procedures Legal Specialist exam in 2023
- Visa11/01/2023What you should be aware of when looking for an administrative scrivener